2016 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Mon, 7 Mar 2016 18:50:04 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] ENCROACHMENT: Ft. McCoy's (WI) agricultural buffer

'We have no encroachment'

by STEVE RUNDIO
Tomah Journal (WI)
March 7,2016

Dairy farmers and cranberry growers are some of Fort McCoy's best friends, the installation's outgoing commander said Monday.

U.S. Army Col. Steven M. Nott delivered an optimistic outlook on Fort McCoy's future Monday during his final press conference as garrison commander. He said the lack of urban encroachment is a major factor that keeps the installation from appearing on base-closure lists.

"I've met several cranberry farmers, dairy farmers and other farmers in the region, and I always tell them, 'I thank you for what you do −  you are crucial to our strategic relevance,'" he said. "As soon as you get major encroachment on your border, you are at huge risk for closure. We have no encroachment."

…

For the entire article, see
http://lacrossetribune.com/tomahjournal/news/local/we-have-no-encroachment/article_843be416-37b8-5223-9368-d26d7c2f800e.html