2016 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 14 Oct 2016 00:01:42 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] LITIGATION: Port of San Diego (CA) sues Navy

Port sues feds for chemical pollution

by Carl Prine
San Diego Union-Tribune (CA)
October 13, 2016

An underground plume of toxic chemicals in Chula Vista threatens to contaminate the bay and it’s largely the Navy’s fault, according to a federal lawsuit filed this week by the Port of San Diego.

The suit cites the Navy as the lead defendant, along with the Air Force and a series of now-defunct federal agencies. Attorneys for the port allege that these parties either spilled a brew of toxins or allowed a defense contractor — Rohr Aircraft, now owned by UTC Aerospace Systems — to contaminate 48 acres of waterfront property along Lagoon Drive.

“As the legal, regulatory and environmental steward of the public trust tidelands of San Diego Bay, we would be remiss if we ignored this issue,” the port said in a statement about Monday’s court filing.

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/military/sd-me-lawsuit-federal-20161012-story.html

Voice/Fax: 650/961-8918