2016 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2016 14:47:59 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFCs: "Residents [near Peterson Air Force Base, CO] with contaminated drinking water struggle to get tested for exposure"

Residents with contaminated drinking water struggle to get tested for exposure

By Nat Stein
Colorado Springs independent
November 8, 2016

Angie Golliher was 34 when she found out she's got the bone density of an 80-year-old.

On one level, the diagnosis, which came five years ago, was shocking, but on another, it explained why she was in so much pain all the time. "My back is always killing me, I get fatigued easily and see dots all over," she says.

But that's not the most painful part. In May, she learned her condition may be connected to high levels of perfluorinated chemicals in her family's drinking water that were introduced by a firefighting foam used at nearby Peterson Air Force Base.

The Environmental Protection Agency's health advisory informed her that this class of man-made, unregulated chemicals — otherwise known as PFCs — is linked not only to thyroid and kidney issues that could be  exacerbating her bone deterioration, but to a whole host of other scary side effects like immune system malfunction, heart disease and cancer.

http://www.csindy.com/coloradosprings/residents-with-contaminated-drinking-water-struggle-to-get-tested-for-exposure/Content?oid=4156724

Voice/Fax: 650/961-8918