2017 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Larry <soundsynergy1@verizon.net>
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2017 19:00:10 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: Re: [CPEO-MEF] PFCs: Military contamination of America's drinking water - how bad is it

Hi,

I became “the water boy” on February 28th 2016 while a founding member of the Warminster Township Environmental Advisory Council. We are the only municipally appointed body in Pennsylvania addressing (among other things) the pollution from PFC’s in firefighting foam. Warminster Township is home to the Naval Air Warfare Development Center (Johnsville), home to one of the most tainted wells in America. Warminster Township’s water had the third highest level of PFOS’s and PFOS’s in the country. (Ref: Poisoning the Well by Sharon Lerner in The Intercept). We had been unknowingly drinking poisoned water for at least 3 decades. Fox News calls our area “The Flint of Foam”.

 Our EAC had the responsibility for the 32,000 residents of Warminster. In all, over 70,000 current residents have been exposed. The total, including military personnel, who have cycled through this area in the last 30 years could exceed a quarter million.

My father-in-law worked at Johnsville after serving heroically in North Africa in WW2. He died of gastric lymphoma in 1986 after 20 years at Johnsville. I have bladder cancer and my wife almost died on March 2 last year from probable endocrine disruption. She is currently disabled, has not fully recovered and will likely not.

I’ve had suspicions about the EPA due to their inconsistent behavior. Among what I found was the following:

“EPA does not use science to guide regulatory policy as much as it uses regulatory policy to steer the science. This is an old problem at EPA. In 1992, a blue-ribbon panel of EPA science advisers that [sic] 'science should not be adjusted to fit policy.' But rather than heed this advice, EPA has greatly increased its science manipulation.” Jonathan Swan  Mike Allen   Jan 23  AP

"This is blatantly obvious in the way the EPA originally announced safe limits for PFC toxins in drinking water in Bucks and Montgomery Counties. The announced a “working limit” (since there was no official enforceable limit on an emerging contaminant) without announcing that it was a “short-term” limit. When pressed on this they stated that short-term was for 30 to 90 days. When further challenged on why the limit announced here was twice as much as for Hoosick Falls, NY, which had the same contaminant, they lowered the time limit, again without properly defining the time limit. When other sources stated that short term exposure limits were 10 to 30 days, the EPA set a provisional lifetime exposure limit of 70 parts per trillion. This limit was 70 times too high according to the best available studies (from Harvard and other highly respected and reputable institutions). “ WTEAC

The following makes interesting reading and we’ve had co-author Richard Clapp in Warminster at an educational event we held here last year. Erin Brockovich also made a brief appearance here and attracted quite a crowd (1000+) at a school not far from JRB Willow Grove (in Horsham PA). The base at the old NASWG is also highly polluted. and still partly in use by the Air National Guard, reported to be a drone control center for Middle Easter Operations.

Scientific Solutions

page1image920

Perfluorinated Alkyl Substances: Emerging Insights Into Health Risks

Philippe Grandjean1 and Richard Clapp2    Harvard University Chan School of Public Health

Abstract

NEW SOLUTIONS: A Journal of Environmental and Occupational Health Policy 2015, Vol. 25(2) 147–163 ! The Author(s) 2015 Reprints and permissions: sagepub.com/journalsPermissions.nav DOI: 10.1177/1048291115590506 new.sagepub.com

I hope this has been helpful. It is my opinion that the Navy, EPA, and the Federal Government is trying to minimize their costs. Proper remediation at the national level could exceed $1T. As they say at jump school, we are the “wind dummies”.

Larry

Larry Menkes: cSBA
Sustainable Transitions US
Relocalization & Transition Strategies
267.992.8020

Founder & CEO: Bucks County Veterans Green Jobs Initiative
Warminster Township Environmental Advisory Council (Co-Founder)
Member: Post Carbon Institute
Member: Association for the Study of Peak Oil and Gas (ASPO)

The way to predict the future is to design it.
R. Buckminster Fuller
The way to understand the present is to accept responsibility for what we designed: LM

"Our ignorance is not so vast as our failure to use what we know."
M. King Hubbert

“The cheapest and most available new source of energy is the energy we waste”
Samuel Bodman, former U.S. Secretary of Energy