2017 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 2017 22:50:59 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFCs: "Whidbey Island [WA] drinking-water wells polluted with firefighting chemicals near Navy airstrips"

Whidbey Island drinking-water wells polluted with firefighting chemicals near Navy airstrips
A potentially hazardous chemical, found in firefighting foam, has been discovered in a few wells on Whidbey Island. While the Navy distributes bottled water and plans for expanded testing, homeowners worry about longlasting harm.

By Hal Bernton
Seattle Times (WA)
March 4, 2017

COUPEVILLE, Island County — In early December, Jim Heidinger got disturbing news about the well that supplies water for his Whidbey Island home.

Heidinger lives near a Navy airfield, and a laboratory analysis showed contamination - at levels more than triple an Environmental Protection Agency guideline - for chemicals found in aviation firefighting foam.

A Navy representative hand-carried the results to his door and left behind bottled water to drink in place of tap.

For Heidinger, this revelation left him wondering about his future. “I have $20,000 invested in something — my well — that now is useless,” Heidinger said. “If it can’t be fixed, how would I ever sell my property?”

…

For the entire article, see
http://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/environment/whidbey-island-wells-polluted-with-firefighting-chemicals-near-navy-airstrips/

Executive Director