2017 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2017 15:39:17 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] RADIATION, REUSE: "Treasure Island [CA}: mysterious maladies, never-ending nausea"

How the US Navy exposed a Treasure Island mother and daughter to radiation levels higher than humans can tolerate
Treasure Island: mysterious maladies, never-ending nausea

by Carol Harvey
San Francisco Bay View (CA)
March 31, 2017

My name is Felita Sample. My mysterious illnesses and my daughter LaKrista’s strange afflictions developed after we moved from San Francisco’s Tenderloin neighborhood to Treasure Island.

Imagine never-ending nausea and daily dizziness. You can’t tolerate the thought of food. You override this loathing and force yourself to eat. You soon find that anything edible, including water, triggers dry heaves that wrack your chest and abdomen. Or regurgitation makes you throw up your stomach contents onto your plate. Either way, you get no relief.

…

It took me years to figure out that LaKrista and I, as well as residents and schoolkids in the immediate area – mothers, fathers and their offspring – got sick from radiation and chemicals buried in at least three places under or near that school’s classrooms and its two playgrounds. One playground lay west of the school at Avenue D and 12th Street, and one lay east in what is now the C3 church parking lot. Next to the school’s second play area (now a church parking lot), the Navy found an extremely “hot object” in a radiation cleanup zone called Bigelow-Halyburton Court. A third radioisotope was recently located beneath our house, a half-block from the school. This concentrated contamination was contained within a mere six blocks.

…

For the entire article, see
http://sfbayview.com/2017/03/how-the-us-navy-exposed-a-treasure-island-mother-and-daughter-to-radiation-levels-higher-than-humans-can-tolerate/

Executive Director