2020 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Larry Menkes <soundsynergy1@verizon.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Sep 2020 22:27:28 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] 1. PFAS: "Are military efforts to clean up and replace toxic 'forever chemicals' cutting it? "

Lenny,

In Philip Athey's article he says "and once consumed by humans never break down but simply accumulate over time." This is not true and can be excreted in 17 years.

As the co-founder, and Chairperson emeritous of the Warminster Township Environmental Advisory Council (EAC) Athey is incorrect about the above. I was the lead person on the EAC for water issues and now known locally as "the water guy".

Warminster is probably in one of the most polluted areas for PFOA's and PFAS (constituents of AFFF). We are home to the former Naval Air Warfare Development Center and less than three miles from what was the Willow Grove Naval Air Station (nee Joint Reserve Base Willow Grove) now reduced to Air National Guard station (where drones in active war zones are controlled). AFFF was used extensively on at least a weekly basis for drills and actual fires.

Toxic constituents of AFFF are also referred to as C8's. Our entire region's water supply has been polluted with these "forever chemicals". They've been in use here in public tap water for about forty years, but this wasn't publicly known except for the last five years. Most of this region now imports water from the new state of the art North Penn Water Treatment Plant. The water they supply has a non-detectable level of C8's. Once in the soil C8's can also be airborne. Once in the soil or water table they cannot be removed, hence "forever". They do not stay put and move about 4" a day.

I've researched this thoroughly and can say that PFOA's stay in the body about eight years. PFOS' stay about 17 years. Since they are bioaccumulative so if a person excretes some and continues to ingest the level in the body will stay high. There are a growing litany of diseases that they cause. My sources include Phillip Grandjean and Richard Clapp who worked at the Chan School of Public Health at Harvard. I've spoken with them personally and while on the EAC held a public event featuring Dr. Clapp. He was able to answer many audience questions via our Skype connection. It was professionally videotaped but never edited.

The issue has been extensively covered by the Intercept:
Toxic Firefighting Foam Has Contaminated U.S. ... - The Intercept
It was also covered by our local newspaper, The Intelligencer, in an award winning series by Kyle Baginstose called "Unwell Water". He's now with USA Today.

I have a non-profit Veterans Green Jobs Initiative (as part of the Patton Foundation). Our purpose is to provide good green jobs and careers for wounded warriors. I've spoken with many of the vets who have retired here in Bucks County. I have a list of over 100 vets and their families who I'm trying to raise money for so they may be tested. The cost for the first 20 would be roughly $7,500 and with a deeper quantity discount cost about $32,000 to test the 100. I am eager to have the first $7500 in hand. I'm disabled and exist on social security. I did "gig" work until Covid 19 occurred.

I'm most deeply concerned about service personnel who transfer from toxic base without knowing the state of the drinking water, and firefighters who use AFFF to extinguish oil and electrical fires.

If I can be of any further help please contact me by phone (voice) at 267.992.8020.

Larry Menkes CSBA
USMM Vietnam Combat Vet (1967)
Veterans Green Jobs Initiative
Paramedic (ret.) 12 years in svc.