2020 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 3 Dec 2020 18:19:14 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "In Final Defense Bill, Too Little Progress on 'Forever Chemicals'"

In Final Defense Bill, Too Little Progress on 'Forever Chemicals'

NEWS RELEASE
ENVIRONMENTAL WORKING GROUP
DECEMBER 3, 2020

WASHINGTON – A House-Senate conference committee today approved a final version of the National Defense Authorization Act for FY 2021, which both houses will vote on before it goes to the White House for President Trump’s signature or veto. Here is the statement of Scott Faber, EWG’s senior vice president of government affairs, on the NDAA provisions concerning the toxic fluorinated “forever chemicals” known as PFAS.

We’re grateful that the NDAA once again seeks to address the PFAS contamination crisis by banning some Defense Department uses of PFAS, by expanding PFAS research and by accelerating efforts to develop PFAS-free firefighting gear and firefighting foams. The bill also requires the Defense Department to warn nearby farmers if their irrigation water may be contaminated.

But the NDAA falls far short of what’s needed to address the contamination crisis facing our service members and neighboring communities. PFAS have been confirmed in the groundwater of 328 military installations and are suspected in the groundwater at hundreds of other bases.

…

For the entire release, see
https://www.ewg.org/release/final-defense-bill-too-little-progress-forever-chemicals

Executive Director