2021 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2021 16:01:53 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "America’s Fish are Contaminated with PFAS"

America’s Fish are Contaminated with PFAS

By Pat Elder
Military Poisons
June 18, 2021

An analysis of  PFAS concentrations in 3,262 fish and oysters from rivers and lakes in 48 states shows that America’s seafood is toxic. The average fish in the database contained 93,224 parts per trillion (ppt) of PFAS. The median (middle)  value was 13,600 ppt. 83% of the samples were from Michigan.

To put these numbers into perspective, the EPA has established a voluntary Lifetime Health Advisory of 70 ppt of PFAS in drinking water while many states have been enforcing much lower levels. Public health officials are increasingly warning that we should not be consuming more than 1 ppt of these substances in our drinking water. But what about the fish?

Generally, fish caught near military bases, wastewater treatment plants, airports, and industrial sites had elevated (and sometimes astronomical) levels of the poisons. People who eat these fish can become extremely ill. Fish move around, so this is anything but an exact science.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.militarypoisons.org/latest-news/americas-fish-are-contaminated-with-pfas

—