2021 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 2021 12:38:23 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] VETERANS: Proposed federal legislation - Toxic Exposure in the American Military Act

Veterans exposed to toxic water encouraged by proposed legislation
Rep. Barr is now co-sponsoring the TEAM Act. Veterans are asking other lawmakers to do the same.

By Garrett Wymer
WKYT (KY)
June 28, 2021

LEXINGTON, Ky. - Veterans say a bill recently proposed in our nation’s capital puts them even closer to getting the help they need.

“This is probably two or three steps better than what we asked for,” said Brian Amburgey, a Marine Corps veteran. “I’m so excited, I can’t hardly stand it.”

The Toxic Exposure in the American Military Act, or “TEAM” Act, is a bipartisan measure that would expand access to V.A. care and benefits for veterans exposed to toxic substances during their service, develop a consistent process to determine presumptions of service connection for illnesses, establish an independent scientific commission and authorize further research to study whether conditions are linked to toxic exposure.

Amburgey, a Winchester man, has been at the center of a years-long effort to push for a health registry for veterans exposed to toxic water at Camp Lejeune in North Carolina. This spring he presented a petition with 50,000 signatures to urge Congress to act.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.wymt.com/2021/06/28/wkyt-investigates-update-veterans-exposed-toxic-water-encouraged-by-proposed-legislation/

—