2021 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 2021 13:11:58 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Defense Department delayed PFAS cleanup, ignored health risks, Inspector General says"

News Release
Environmental Working Group
July 27, 2021

Defense Department delayed PFAS cleanup, ignored health risks, Inspector General says

WASHINGTON – The Defense Department responded too slowly to the threats posed to military service members by the toxic “forever chemicals” known as PFAS and is failing to track the health risks facing military firefighters, according to DOD’s inspector general.

The IG also found that DOD has failed to take an “enterprise wide” approach to PFAS that reduces all needless exposures to the chemicals.

“This report should alarm our service members and their families,” said Scott Faber, EWG’s senior vice president for government affairs. “DOD understood the health risks posed by toxic PFAS for decades but failed to act to protect service members.

“Now DOD is letting down our service members again by failing to address all sources of PFAS and by failing to make sure our military firefighters get the care they need,” he added

For the entire release, see
https://www.ewg.org/news-insights/news-release/2021/07/defense-department-delayed-pfas-cleanup-ignored-health-risks

For the DOD press release and a link to the full report, go to
https://www.dodig.mil/reports.html/article/2705951/evaluation-of-the-department-of-defenses-actions-to-control-contaminant-effects/

—

Lenny Siegel
Executive Director