2021 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 4 Nov 2021 11:50:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Former Naval Air Station Brunswick has contaminated the Mussels in Maine"

Former Naval Air Station Brunswick has contaminated the Mussels in Maine
And continues to do so

By Pat Elder
Military Poisons
November 2, 2021

Whenever I read or hear about PFAS in the news it always seems to be about contaminated drinking water. That’s because the federal government and the U.S. military prefer talking about PFAS in municipal water systems where the problem is being resolved. They don’t want to address the environmental disaster and public health crisis caused by these chemicals in our surface water and groundwater.

…

Groundwater seeps into surface water and that’s where we get into trouble with the mussels and the fish. The Navy reported during a Restoration Advisory Board (RAB) Meeting on July 21, 2021, that water from a storm drain at the airfield contained concentrations of 8,260 ppt of PFOS and 339 ppt of PFOA. The Navy is known to drag its feet on publishing the minutes from RAB Meetings - so the minutes to the July 21 meeting are still not online.

PFOS bioaccumulate in seafood - like mussels. The tiniest amounts in the water may translate to levels thousands of times higher in seafood tissue.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.militarypoisons.org/latest-news/former-naval-air-station-brunswick-has-contaminated-the-mussels-in-maine

—