2021 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2021 14:16:48 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] MUNITIONS, GLOBAL: "Iraqi wars' deadly legacy: unexploded ordnance"

Iraqi wars' deadly legacy: unexploded ordnance

Hassan-Jalad (Irak)
Agence France Press
December 12, 2021

In the northern Iraqi hamlet of Hassan-Jalad, almost every family has a story to tell about a time when a child, nephew or brother was lost to wartime munitions.

Located near Mosul, a former stronghold of the Islamic State (IS) jihadist group, the area is littered with unexploded ordnance, sometimes dubbed UXO.

"We are afraid for the children," said one local man, Awad Qado. "We show them the routes to take, the places to avoid. We tell them not to pick up things they find on the ground."

It was in 2017 that Qado's family was struck by a landmine explosion in the hamlet of about 50 homes.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.france24.com/en/live-news/20211209-iraqi-wars-deadly-legacy-unexploded-ordnance

—