2022 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Feb 2022 10:33:39 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] GLOBAL: "Ukraine invasion: rapid overview of environmental issues"

Ukraine invasion: rapid overview of environmental issues
48 hours in and we are already seeing a pattern of environmental harm in Ukraine.

By Eoghan Darbyshire and Doug Weir
Conflict and Environment Observatory
February 25, 2022

This is an overview of some of the emerging environmental issues and perspectives arising from the Russian invasion of Ukraine. In common with many conflicts, we have already seen pollution incidents that place people and ecosystems at risk of acute and long-term harm.

Health warning

The reports we summarise below are primarily based on social media monitoring, which can be unreliable. Where possible we have used trusted sources but the reports may be subject to change as further information comes in. As importantly, while we can document the kinds of problems associated with certain incidents, in the vast majority of cases their true humanitarian or ecological impact will only be properly understood after assessment on the ground.

Pollution from military sites and materiel

The first two days of fighting have been characterised by Russia’s targeting of Ukrainian military infrastructure, including many in close proximity to civilian areas. These included ammunition storage facilities in Kalynivka, Krasnopillia, Krivoy Rog,Dnipro and Zhitomir. Airfields, and their fuel storage tanks, in Hostomel, Gostomel, Chuhuyev, Chernobaevka, Melitopol,Ivano-Frankivsk, and Millerovo (targeted by Ukraine, in Russia), and naval facilities.

…

For the entire article, see
https://ceobs.org/ukraine-invasion-rapid-overview-of-environmental-issues/

—