2022 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 19 May 2022 16:07:45 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: "Hawaii looks the other way"

Canals at Kapolei and Sand Island carry PFAS to the Ocean in Oahu, Hawaii
Hawaii looks the other way

By Pat Elder
Military Poisons
May 13, 2022

A water sample we collected from  Kapolei, Hawaii contained 119.9 parts per trillion (ppt) of total PFAS, including 29.5 ppt of PFOS. It was collected on  3/26/22 at 11:00 am at the canal near Barbers Point where it intersects with Cruz Road near Pearl Harbor National Wildlife Refuge in Kapolei, Hawaii.

Par Hawaii is believed to be the owner of the petroleum storage tanks shown here. On Oahu, pipelines from the Kapolei refinery feed terminals at Honolulu International Airport, Honolulu Harbor and military installations. Pipelines also deliver products to Kalaeloa Barbers Point Harbor, where they are transferred to ships and barges that supply the Neighbor Islands.

We don’t know if Par Hawaii is responsible for the levels of PFAS in surface waters. We don’t know who is responsible, but the activity that is causing it must cease and the perpetrators ought to be held responsible.

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.militarypoisons.org/latest-news/canals-at-kapolei-and-sand-island-carry-pfas-to-the-ocean-in-oahu-hawaii

—