2022 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2022 11:44:48 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] CLIMATE: Resiliency study at Naval Station Newport, Aquidneck Island (RI)

Climate Change Bears Down on Naval Station Newport, Aquidneck Island

By Frank Carini
ecoRI News (RI)
October 24, 2022

The U.S. Department of Defense has concerns about sea-level rise and other climate-change impacts on Naval Station Newport, along the shores of Aquidneck Island.

“Since 2010, the Department of Defense has acknowledged that the planet’s changing climate has a dramatic effect on our missions, plans and installations,” Secretary of Defense Lloyd J. Austin III said last year. “The department will immediately take appropriate policy actions to prioritize climate change considerations in our activities and risk assessments to mitigate this driver of insecurity.”

The Aquidneck Island Climate Caucus, led by Rep. Terri Cortvriend, D-Portsmouth, recently hosted a discussion about resiliency plans for the Naval station.

…

For the entire article, see
https://ecori.org/climate-change-bears-down-on-naval-station-newport-aquidneck-island/

—