2022 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 4 Nov 2022 10:26:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS, GLOBAL: Yokosuka "US naval base in Japan installs wastewater filters to fight high levels of ‘forever chemicals’"

US naval base in Japan installs wastewater filters to fight high levels of ‘forever chemicals’

By ALEX WILSON AND HANA KUSUMOTO
STARS AND STRIPES
November 1, 2022

YOKOSUKA NAVAL BASE, Japan – The U.S. Navy has finished installing filters at the wastewater treatment plant on this base on Tokyo Bay, less than a week after the Japanese government once again reported high levels of so-called “forever chemicals” there.

Eight granular activated carbon filters to further treat wastewater contaminated with PFOS and PFOA were fully operational Tuesday morning at Yokosuka, homeport of the U.S. 7th Fleet, base spokesman Randall Baucom told Stars and Stripes by email.

The filters were installed specifically to remove the chemical compounds that since May have shown up repeatedly in water-quality tests by the U.S. Navy and the South Kanto Defense Bureau.

“The U.S. Navy has worked hard to correct this situation. The health and safety of our service members, civilians, their families, and the local community is our top priority,” Baucom wrote. “We are committed to learning from this experience and working to make improvements going forward.”

…

For the entire article, see
https://www.stripes.com/branches/navy/2022-11-01/pfos-pfoa-navy-yokosuka-japan-7882655.html

—