2022 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 10 Nov 2022 12:06:05 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] AIR: New estimate of global military emissions

Begin forwarded message:

From: CEOBS <contact@ceobs.org>
Subject: New estimate of global military emissions
Date: November 10, 2022 at 4:13:24 AM PST

Working to reduce the harm to people and ecosystems from armed conflicts and military activities.
The Military Emissions Gap, 12 months on

We launched militaryemissions.org at COP26 in Glasgow. It brings together all the data that states submit to the UNFCCC on their military emissions into one place. Today we have published our first update - you can watch the webinar here.

It's no great spoiler to confirm that the state of reporting didn't improve between 2019 and 2020 - the year of the most recent UNFCCC data. In a new report - also published today - we have collaborated with Scientists for Global Responsibility on a new global estimate for the scale of military GHG emissions. You can read the overview and report below. The current best and conservative estimate, based on incomplete data, is 5.5% of total global emissions.

This does not include emissions during conflicts and it was exciting to hear about how a Ukrainian and international team has estimated the emissions linked to Russia's invasion. That the estimate was launched at an official COP27 side event is perhaps even more exciting, and a sign that military and conflict emissions could just make the transition from fringe to mainstream topic - somewhere they desperately need to be if the 5.5% figure is any indication.

Our webinar also heard from Green Korea United on their work to hold the government to account over its emissions and lack of transparency. They had made use of the data we made available via militaryemissions.org to do so. This is an incredibly dynamic space with a momentum of its own, and one that we will continue to support with our research.
New estimate: global military is responsible for more emissions than Russia

As the impact of the climate crisis continues to grow, rapid emissions cuts are becoming ever more urgent. Our new report finds that militaries may be responsible for 5.5% of global emissions – a proportion so great that it can no longer be ignored.
Share this
ShareShare
TweetTweet
ForwardForward
Follow CEOBS
Twitter
Facebook
Website
Copyright © 2022 The Conflict and Environment Observatory, All rights reserved.

Our mailing address is:
The Conflict and Environment Observatory
CEOBS, The Chapel, Scout Road
Mytholmroyd
Hebden Bridge, West Yorks HX75HZ
United Kingdom

The Conflict and Environment Observatory is registered with the Charity Commission of England and Wales – number 1174115.

Email Marketing Powered by Mailchimp

Lenny Siegel
Executive Director
Center for Public Environmental Oversight
A project of the Pacific Studies Center
LSiegel@cpeo.org
P.O. Box 998, Mountain View, CA 94042
Voice/Fax: 650-961-8918