2023 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 2 Jun 2023 15:31:20 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] FUEL: "EPA Finalizes Consent Order for Safe Defueling and Closure of Navy’s Red Hill [HI] Fuel Facility"

EPA Finalizes Consent Order for Safe Defueling and Closure of Navy’s Red Hill Fuel Facility
Final order addresses public concerns over defueling deadline, public participation, and other requirements

News Release
U.S. EPA Region 9
June 2, 2023

HONOLULU – Today, the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) has finalized an Administrative Consent Order with the U.S. Department of the Navy and the Defense Logistics Agency (DLA) that requires steps to ensure the safe defueling and closure of the Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.

"Throughout the process, it has been an EPA priority to ensure communities affected by the releases at Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam have had a seat at the table as we work together with the Department of Defense to develop solutions that best protect public health and our environment," said Deputy Administrator Janet McCabe. "Today's Consent Order reflects that engagement, and I am confident it will help ensure safe defueling and closure of the Red Hill Bulk Fuel Storage Facility and protection of the area’s drinking water."

The Consent Order also includes provisions to ensure that the Navy properly operates and maintains the Joint Base’s drinking water system to protect the health and safety of its consumers and the aquifer feeding the system. This is the latest step in EPA’s work to oversee the Navy and DOD’s response to the November 2021 fuel release at Red Hill and the process following the decision to close Red Hill.

…

For the entire release, see
https://www.epa.gov/newsreleases/epa-finalizes-consent-order-safe-defueling-and-closure-navys-red-hill-fuel-facility

—