2023 CPEO Military List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <LSiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: Fri, 27 Oct 2023 00:22:59 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-military
Subject: [CPEO-MEF] PFAS: Bipartisan Legislation to Curb PFAS Contamination Caused by Defense Facilities

[I don’t know if this bill has a chance of passing, but it’s important to note that it has bipartisan sponsorship in this era of partisanship. - LS]

PRESS RELEASES
Office of Congresswomen Jennifer McClellan (D-VA)
October 26, 2023

McClellan, Kiggans Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Curb PFAS Contamination Caused by Defense Facilities

Washington, D.C. – Today, Congresswomen Jennifer McClellan (VA-04) and Jennifer Kiggans (VA-02) introduced the Department of Defense PFAS Discharge Prevention Act, bipartisan legislation to protect military personnel and American families from per- and polyfluoroalkyl substances (PFAS) released from Department of Defense (DoD) facilities.

DoD facilities are one of the major contributors of PFAS contamination in drinking water sources. According to a new DoD report, at least 245 U.S. bases are contaminating or threatening to pollute drinking water for nearby communities, and hundreds more are likely at risk. This is caused by various technologies used at DoD installations, particularly firefighting foam laced with the chemicals discharged during emergencies or training exercises.

“PFAS contamination from our nation’s military and defense facilities poses a major threat to our hardworking military personnel, their families and residents in nearby communities,” said Congresswoman McClellan.

“Exposure to toxic PFAS chemicals can result in adverse health outcomes and drastically impact the well-being of our servicemembers and everyday Americans. I am proud to introduce the bipartisan Department of Defense PFAS Discharge Prevention Act to empower the Department to take the necessary steps to effectively remediate PFAS contamination and protect public health.”

…

For the entire release, see
https://mcclellan.house.gov/media/press-releases/mcclellan-kiggans-introduce-bipartisan-legislation-curb-pfas-contamination

—