1998 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: trevor burrowes <trevoroc@pacbell.net>
Date: 02 Apr 1998 13:52:39
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: SUGGESTIONS FOR THE EPA BROWNFIELDS '98 CONFERENCE?

CHELSEA ALBUCHER wrote:

> I had not made a panel/workshop suggestion but here are a few off the
> top of my head:
>
> 1. Community Development Corporations Role in Brownfield
> Redevelopment
> Purpose:  To highlight CDCs as a brownfield redevelopment resource
> and share how cities, states and federal agencies can better work with
> CDCs to achieve common goals.
>
> CDCs are uniquely positioned to guide the investment of public dollars in
> brownfield redevelopment because they are acquainted with brownfield
> properties of high 'community value' and local development priorities.
> CDC's have experience in all aspects of brownfield redevelopment; from
> community involvement to inform redevelopment efforts to actual
> commercial, residential, mixed use and open space redevelopment.
>
> The workshop would explore how a select handful of CDCs have
> promoted brownfield redevelopment and conclude with
> recommendations on how cities, states and federal agencies can
> support local CDC efforts to revitalize neighborhoods.
>
> Panel recommendations:
> Trish Settles, DSNI
> Urban Edge or other CDC that has turned over BF properties

> I also strongly recommend that all panels have a 'community' or EJ panel
> participant -- My attendance at the last two meetings left me with the
> (frustrated) impression that people are not talking to one another
>
> Residential Reuse -- Affordable Housing
> Purpose:  To explore whether brownfield redevelopment offers
> opportunity to meet the pressing need for affordable housing.
> Presentation of case studies, identification of resources
> Panel:
> Jersey City
> HUD
>  . . other
>
> AND THE SAME FOR OPEN SPACE
>
> ---------------------------------
> A workshop on other EPA urban environmental initiatives and CBEP  to
> share approaches from different regions and identify successful
> methods to address the full spectrum of urban environmental issues
>
> The purpose is to help cities and states understand the full range of
> EPAs committment to the urban environment and identify future steps.
>
> I look forward to knowing what you think of these recommendations -
> since discussing ideas usually helps to develop them.
> Also, can you share the other recommendations you have received?

I like these recommendations very much (although I was a little
confused by your numbering system).

It's one thing to reuse "blighted" land for community development; it's
another thing to reuse that  land in a way which is responsive to
community needs, including the need for open space, historical
continuity, and sustainable development.

So I'd like to see these issues clearly dealt with on the panel. Again,
they are:
 - open space
 - historical continuity
 - sustainable development
These are key issues to which I have been devoted for a long time, and
which are the focus of the "Weeks Neighborhood Plan" developed for an
area of East Palo Alto adjacent to the BF site by a triumvirate of the
East Palo Alto Historical and Agricultural Society (EPA HAS), the
RTCA Program of the National Park Service, and Urban Ecology, INC.

I'd also be happy to see discussion around these issues.

Trevor Burrowes
Founding (and former) Director of EPA HAS, East Palo Alto, CA