1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Dan Durett" <ddurett@oncon.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:12:43 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Tax the Subsidies and Gentrification

Why not "tax" the "subsidies" and profits and use the revenue generated to
promote low-income housing and home ownership, retention of those elements
that contribute to the "social capital" and other techniques.  Brownfields
are in some ways the "baths of Ibsen" and therefore can be viewed as the
"enemy of the People!  Can  we structure the acquisition cost, appraisal,
tax benefits, profits so that the current and future residents of the
community benefits. For ex. if a community is attractive because of  the
prominence of a particular environmental amenity -- park space-- can we
dedicate a percentage of the revenue that goes to the local, state and
federal gov't  to be used for maintaining the park and even better educating
others-- especially children about the importance of open space.  What
values are promoted and sustained through brownfield revitalization?