1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Robert G. Paterson" <rgfp@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Mon, 29 Mar 1999 10:15:07 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Brownfields Term -- Who Gets the Credit?

I sent a message on this that never was posted to the list (near as I
can tell?), but I'll re-send.

Peter Meyer has it right. You can find publications from the 1980s
referencing brownfields verses greenfields for economic development
purposes, and yes there was explicit recognition of environmental clean
up issues as part of the use of the term (and questions of reuse).
Perhaps who ever requested this info should just note that the term has
taken on new meaning in the 1990s as a result of a host of legal and
programmatic changes at federal and state levels.

Earliest cite I could quickly turn up off a Lexis-Nexis search is a 1980
OTA Report on the Steel Industry.

Bob Paterson
UT-Austin