1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Robert G. Paterson" <rgfp@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: Thu, 25 Mar 1999 16:52:21 -0800 (PST)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Date term Brownfields first used

Well, as much as I like Charlie, I think the environmental and economic
development dimensions of the term "brownfield" pre-dates the 1990's.
see for example:

n163. The terms "greenfield" and "brownfield" are standard parlance,
especially in the steel industry, to describe,
respectively, new sites for development and existing sites for
modernization of current facilities. See, e.g., U.S.
OFFICE OF TECHNOLOGY ASSESSMENT, TECHNOLOGY AND STEEL INDUSTRY
COMPETITIVENESS 309 (1980). as cited in Copyright (c) Iowa Law School
1988. Iowa University,  October, 1988,  74 Iowa L. Rev. 1,  83418 words,
ARTICLE: Prevention of Significant Deterioration: Control-Compelling
Versus Site-Shifting +,  Craig N. Oren
     *

\