1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: TommeY@aol.com
Date: Tue, 11 May 1999 11:43:15 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: Definition, VCPs, and Brownfields

(I apologize in advance for the length of this e-mail.  I am frequently out
of the country on business, and unable to regularly collect e-mail.  This
means that when I do, I receive a large quantity, and write voluminous
however, I would appreciate comments or criticisms, as an aid to my
understanding...)
	I'm probably jumping into this discussion at a point when everyone
else is tired of flogging the expiring horse, but I wanted to lay out my
concept of these questions, to find out if I am on the right track.
	As far as I have been able to determine, despite its frequent use in
legislative and administrative circles, there is nothing to indicate that
"brownfields" is a "term of art" from a legal perspective (that is a term
which has a definite legal meaning, at least when used in laws, court
decisions, and other repositories of lawyerly discourse).
	Rather, it appears to have been a term that "caught on" because it
made sense.  As it stands at present, the term has an apparent general
definition (I doubt if its in the dictionary yet) that accords with the
definitions given by Bruce Klafter, Peter Mayer and other contributors to
this dialog -- a property on which some type of hazardous contamination (or
possibly the taint of a known former contamination problem) exists, which
inhibits (or would inhibit?) potential developers or other users from making
use of this property (or considering it for development or reuse).
	The issue is clouded by the fact that the term started garnering
significant attention only after the various federal and state brownfields
programs began to appear.  Each of these programs contains a "brownfields
definition;" however, in my view each of these is not so much a definition of
the term, as a definition of the limits of the particular program or
legislation in which the definition appears.  Thus, federal brownfields
program doesn't apply to all brownfields, only to those brownfields within
the program's particular "definition" -- i.e., only to those brownfields that
are not already being addressed under other federal laws (the NCP, RCRA
corrective orders, etc.) among other things.   In many states, brownfields
legislation is more extensive in coverage (addressing a wider range of
brownfields.)
	Recalling the environmental transactional hysteria of the last
decade, and the many occasions in which a very minor enviromental issue
(remember spray-on asbestos ceiling material?) could cause a major ruckus in
an otherwise orderly transaction, I suspect that the general definition of
"brownfields" could eventually be much broader than the discussion up to now
suggests.
	My first recollections of the use of the term involved the
juxtaposition of "brownfields" and "greenfields."  These discussions first
appeared well before anyone had actually adopted any programs, legislative or
regulatory, using either term.  The basic statement about brownfields at that
time was that programs for the rehabilitation of brownfields could help to
save the remaining greenfields in their more-or-less pristine condition.
These statements  seem to indicate that, at least at its inception, the term
"brownfields" was part of a set of terms by which you could divide all
properties into two groups -- greenfields (clean, untainted property), and
everything else.
	This history accords with the Klafter and Mayer (and other)
definitions and also Emery Graham's excellent point -- that many sites that
are not considered "hazardous substance contamination sites" under any
statutory definition appear to be considered "brownfields," at least for some
purposes.

	All of the foregoing leads (if you have an extremely free-associating
mind) to the question which is being joined with the definitional issue --
the concept of intent.  Here I would begin by pointing out that "intent" IS a
legal term-of-art, with a very specific (if sometimes unfathomable) legal
meaning.
	A second critical point about intent is that it is not very relevant
in this context (as pointed out by several commentors).  CERCLA and RCRA (and
the other primary environmental statutes which address hazardous substances
and contamination) are by and large remarkably free of intent language.  One
is liable under CERCLA or RCRA by virtue of being a member of one of the
classes of liable persons, and having the requisite OBJECTIVE connection with
the contaminated land or with the contaminants which found their way into the
land.  Not only is intent unnecessary, but knowlege of the contaminants (or
reason to know) is unnecessary, as well.
	Several years after CERCLA, as an afterthought, a provision relating
to "innocent purchasers" was added to that Act.  I suspect that the
possibility of being labeled "innocent" has lead many people to believe that
intent (an "innocent heart") was at issue.
	On the contrary however, even as to "innocent purchasers", the
question is not one of intent.  In essence, in this provision, if one is not
"innocent" it is because one was either "duped" or "stupid" at the time of
purchase -- i.e., he was lied to, or he failed to perform the level of "due
diligence" common in the industry at the time of purchase...  Thus, even
"innocence" does not carry any "intent" connotation -- one can fail to
qualify as "innocent" despite the fact that he had no intent to purchase
contaminated property, to allow a hazardous condition to continue, etc.....
(However, many state laws, including California's, do impose intent-type
requirements, such as a provision that the events causing the contamination
must have been illegal at the time they occurred.)
	In essence, CERCLA was intended to address the CONDITIONS of
contamination, regardless of the manner in which they came to be.
Brownfields programs and legislation appear to take the same approach --
applying to particular properties because of their current physical
characteristics, without any comment on how those conditions came to be. From
a legal perspective, this is the only rational choice, since the
Brownfields provisions do not alter the basic CERCLA (and other
environmental) liability scheme, but only provide a second vehicle for
helping to achieve the basic cleanup objectives (eliminating potential
hazards), as well as the broader objective of returning contaminated
properties to productive use.

I have appreciated the dialog on this issue to date, and will be interested
in its continuation (including any comments on the above), which I will be
able to read in about 2-3 weeks.

Tomme R. Young
UN Legal Consultant on Environmental and Conservation Legislation