1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Allison J. Tom" <atom@scf-fs.usc.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 11:11:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: CDC and resident capacity building program

I was wondering if folks could help direct me in identifying existing
training programs or curriculum on real estate development of brownfields
for CDCs and residents of urban areas.

In my work as a lender for job creation and economic development and work
with CDCs, it appears that the capacity of CDCs and residents to fully and
effectively participate in the remediation and redevelopment of
brownfields is limited by their lack of understanding of real estate
development and economic feasibility analysis.

When I was working on my master's at USC, it appeared to me that CDCs and
their work w/residents were invaluable to the revitalization of low-income
blighted areas. Of course they have tended to be more eeffective in the
affordable housing arena and less so in commercial/industrial development
area.  Howver, it seemed to me that there wasn't a formal training or
program that taught community groups how to do commercial/industrial
development very well, and in particular real estate development.

I would appreciate anyone forwarding me contacts to follow up w/anyone
implementing some sort of training, capacity building or
community-readiness regarding real estate development.

^^^
Allison J. Tom                                         atom@scf.usc.edu

Doctoral Program in Planning and Development Studies   (213)362-9115wk
School of Policy, Planning, and Development            (213)362-9119fx
University of Southern California (USC)                (310)664-0325hm