1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Emery Graham <"egraham"@ci.wilmington.de.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:45:05 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: CDC and resident capacity building program

Marty,
It's tough enough to get good developers from our graduate and undergraduate
schools. What is it that makes you think that "community" people can be taught
to do land development? Do you perceive land development as a traditional
"volunteer" activity? I'm confused. It has been one of the glaring
downfalls of
U.S. domestic development policy to expect that a large number of poor,
uneducated, undisciplined community folk to do land development in the
economically least desireable places for businesses to invest? This is the
very
same irony in that accompanies the poor's involvement in brownfields. Do they
have the money, the mind, the motivation to be effectively involved in the
process? I don't think so.

Emery