1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Ann Goode <anngoode@nemw.org>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:12:03 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: CDC and resident capacity building program

I am taking the liberty of giving a bit more detail on one of Marty
Johnson's programs, though many on the listserv may already be up to speed
on this one.  ISLES, the CDC in Trenton, NJ, has developed a tremendous
training program called Leadership Environmental Training Series (LETS).
It was put together in 1996 in response to community requests for
assistance with participating in the acronym-laden regulatory system that
surrounds cleanup programs.  It has gone a long way to helping affected
parties understand and therefore participate in the cleanup AND development
aspects of a brownfield project.  The response in Trenton was quite
positive, and residents living near some seriously contaminated sites (e.g.
Magic Marker, an old battery factory 25' from lots of homes and across the
street from and elementary school) were clearly motivated and capable of
comprehending the process.  To my knowledge, LETS' goal is not to turn out
a bunch of developers but to build the capacity of the community to
participate in the cleanup and redevelopment process.

ISLES, Inc.
10 Wood Street
Trenton, NJ  08618
609/393-5656