1999 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Emery Graham <"egraham"@ci.wilmington.de.us>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 13:36:50 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: CDC and resident capacity building program

Maybe I don't understand what you mean by the community doing development.
Maybe
you could give some examples of what individuals living in a poor community
might be involved in the development process. List the roles that these people
play in the community prior to getting in development and then the roles
they's
play in the development process. Housewives, ministers, homeless persons, just
who are you talking about. Tell us about the source of their investment so
that
they have an economic stake in the project's outcomes. List a sample of the
types of jobs that the unemployed persons in the community would be able to
fill
during the projects construction and in the daily operations of " what"
type of
long term economic activity locating at the developed sight.

Nope, I won't sell community people short; but you will have to identify the
community you're talking about. The ones that I've worked with for the past 30
years have to have dedicated champions to carry them through the process;
professional public servants who find great joy in serving and helping
economically, educationally, and socially disenfranchised people participate,
for once, in the creation, and capture, of wealth and political power. But
that's just the beginning; in a capitalistic society there is the constant
battle of economic survival. How do the people in your community fair on this
point. What processes of human capital development do you employ to prepare
community folk to be ready to operate and maintain the development you
speak of?
Real economic development is a ceasless journey, not a destination.