2000 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: CPEO Moderator <cpeo@cpeo.org>
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 12:51:08 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Greenfields

[Orginal message from: peter strauss <petestrauss1@home.com>]

Tony, please post:

Over the last month or so, I have been involved negotiation and
settlement discussions that includes the terms "greenfield" and
"greenfielding" (please excuse the poor grammar, as I would never have
invented such a word).   The term really refers to site restoration.
Because this will eventually become a legal document, and I am not a
lawyer, I wonder if erudite members of this newsgroup can define this
word so that everyone in the future will know what it means.

I was part of a discussion over this listserve a year or two back that
tried to define the term "greenfield".  If I recall, it was first used
back in the 1950's to designate construction on a previously unused
parcel of land; that is, unused for industrial, commercial, or
residential purposes.  The term here is being used to designate
returning a parcel of land to a state that is uncontaminated and does
not have any structures.  My question focuses on how much contamination has
to be removed, and whether there should be any restoration of original
vegetation and topographical features.  Essentially, what would one specify
if he/she was demolishing a number of buildings and returning it to a
greenfield state.

Thanks.

Peter Strauss
petestrauss1@home.com
Attachment Converted: "c:\eudora\attach\petestrauss11.vcf"