2000 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: rgfp@mail.utexas.edu
Date: Mon, 5 Jun 2000 13:46:03 -0700 (PDT)
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] brownfields reading list suggestion -- please advise.

Hi Laura and list:

Please make these recommendations to the entire list.

As noted in a previous query, I also teach a six week summer course on
brownfield redevelopment (3rd year now) and the material I use is
constantly shifting based on stuff I pick up from brownfields
conferences, this list, and as the academic literature expands. I used
the American Bar Association text on Brownfields as a primary reading
one year with a Course-pak reader, but that text has become too out
dated (IMHO).

I have found that real field case studies of different types of
brownfields (e.g., developer initiated, public/private deals, full
public responsibility), at different phases of
planning/assessment/cleanup/reuse, and of different types (landfills,
utilities, industrial etc.,) works best.  Bringing in practitioners to
describe experiences helps planners understand the different professions
that they must coordinate with to make redevelopment successful. In
addition, I think the readings become more meaningful and student
discussions are more sophisticated as a result of field trips and
presentations.  It means several field trips, but students really seem
to enjoy it and learn.

On materials, I'm still deciding myself, but I'll send along a
bibliography when I'm done.

Here's a quick synopsis of what the class covers this summer:

1. How did the brownfields issue evolve?
2. What federal and state laws frame and govern the cleanup and reuse of
brownfields (the shadow of Superfund and other types of environmental
liability)
3. What unique dilemmas do Brownfields pose for property appraisal and
real estate financing (dealing with site stigma)
4. Environmental Site Assessment (Phase I/II and Risk-Based Corrective
Action)
5. Remediation/Cleanup Technologies/Approaches (Groundwater, soils and
mixed media--plus special focus on institutional controls)
6. Limiting Environmental Liability (Voluntary cleanup programs,
environmental insurance, and other federal/state tools).
7. Financing brownfield redevelopment (federal, state and local
financial assistance/leveraging resources)
8. Brownfield redevelopment strategies (Lessons from the field-multiple
sources-emphasis on a sustainable community planning approach as a
normative model)
9. Spot light on Texas leaders: The Dallas Showcase Community Program
and U.S. EPA Region 6 (Dallas field trip)
10.  Spot light on Texas leaders: The TNRCC VCP
11.  Lessons Learned: Summary of Best Practices/Questions that still
need answers

Likely field trips this year:

Austin - Seaholm Power Station Reuse Project
Austin - Poleyard Apartment Project
Austin - Landfill Redevelopment Project
San Antonio Housing Authority Projects
San Antonio Military Base Closure Projects
Dallas - Landfill/Environmental Research Center and other
Showcase Program Projects

Always interested in friendly suggestions for things you would add to
such a course.

Best Regards,

Bob
--
Robert G. Paterson, Associate Professor
Graduate Program in Community and Regional Planning