2001 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: hmayer@rci.rutgers.edu
Date: 27 Feb 2001 20:39:10 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] "Brownfields widespread, confidential Ohio industrialpollution

Lenny -

I agree with you in concept, but the State of New Jersey has taken the same
position - no privately owned properties can be identified as a "Brownfield"
without the prior approval of the owner.  I don't know of any city in the
state
that has done anything contrary to this decision.

One way around the problem is to list properties available for
redevelopment, and
in the individual details note that the property is known to have contaminants
based on xyz environmental assessment report.  This still requires the owners
permission, but he receives some benefit (marketing of his property) in
return.
For most cities the redevelopment of the site is key, not branding it with a
brown "B" and exposing itself to legal issues.

Henry Mayer, Ph.D.
Executive Director
National Center for Neighborhood
        & Brownfields Redevelopment