2003 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 30 Oct 2003 07:53:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: Re: [CPEO-BIF] Vapor Intrusion Policies Fall Short

It's my understanding that the people who work in buildings with vapor
intrusion face a long-term risk. But it is also my understanding that
OSHA's standards don't recognize the toxicity of TCE in air. In fact, I
believe they're much less stringent that EPA's old standards.

Vapor intrusion is a potential problem at a subset of Brownfields sites.
It occurs where there are shallow groundwater contamination plumes or
significant soil contamination with volatile organic compounds, but it
the evidence thus far is that air contamination still may be negligible
at many of these sites.

Lenny