2004 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 26 Oct 2004 05:32:57 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Cal-EPA Seeks Comments on Coordination MOA

Cal-EPA Seeks Comments

California Environmental Protection Agency (Cal/EPA), Department of Toxic Substances Control (DTSC), the State Water Resources Control Board (SWRCB), and Regional Water Quality Control Boards (RWQCB) have recently been involved in an intensive effort to develop a Memorandum of Agreement (MOA) regarding the regulatory oversight of brownfield cleanups in California. This effort has been in response to the Secretary's July 20, 2004 Brownfields Initiative memo http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Brownfields/MOA/Memo.pdf.

The purpose of the MOA is to improve coordination between DTSC, SWRCB, and RWQCB regarding the oversight of cleanup activities at brownfield sites. This MOA has been developed to ensure effective and expeditious cleanup of brownfield sites in a manner that is protective of both public health and safety and the environment.

We are at a point where we would like to get the thoughts and perspectives on our efforts from anyone interested in our regulatory oversight activities at brownfields. We invite you to review and comment on the draft Memorandum of Agreement http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Brownfields/MOA/BFMOA.pdf. Copies of the MOA can also be obtained from any DTSC Regional Office or Regional Board Office, or by contacting any of their Brownfields contacts: see http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Brownfields/Contacts/.

Comment Period
We will be taking public comments and feedback from October 25, 2004 through November 25, 2004.
Written comments must be postmarked or emailed by November 25, 2004, and sent to:

Rick Brausch, Assistant Secretary for External Affairs
California Environmental Protection Agency
P.O. Box 2815
Sacramento, CA 95812
Email: rbrausch@calepa.ca.gov

Public Workshops
We are also planning two public workshops as an opportunity for you to learn more about the draft agreement, discuss the agreement's provisions with Cal/EPA, DTSC and the State and Regional Boards, and provide written or oral comments. The workshops are scheduled for Wednesday, November 3, at DTSC's Regional Office in Cypress, and for Friday, November 5, at the Cal/EPA Headquarters Building in Sacramento. See the flyer at http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Brownfields/MOA/Flyer.pdf for more information.

Thank you all in advance for your interest and involvement. We are very excited about this agreement and what it represents. We believe this agreement is a significant step forward toward removing impediments to brownfields cleanups and redevelopment and towards accomplishing the Governor's goals for brownfields.

If you have any questions or need more information, go to Cal/EPA's Brownfields MOA web page at http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Brownfields/MOA/, or you can contact Rick Brausch at (916) 445-3131, or rbrausch@calepa.ca.gov.

Cal/EPA's regulatory boards and departments play an essential role in cleaning up contaminated sites to protect public health and the environment. For more information go to Brownfields program at http://www.calepa.ca.gov/Brownfields/