2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Jan 2005 19:43:00 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] More vapor tests in Ithaca (NY)

More S. Hill homes to be tested

JENNIE DALEY
Ithaca Journal (NY)
January 21, 2005

ITHACA -- Seven more homes downhill from the former Morse Chain plant
will be included in testing for airborne chemicals, according to a
spokesperson for Emerson Power Transmission.

Spokesperson David Baldridge said the test area was expanded after
analyzing results from 42 homes that were tested in late 2004. He
declined to give further details.

The tests look for toxins in and around homes potentially related to
activities, including improper dumping, at the former Morse Chain plant,
where Emerson plant now operates.

Of most notable concern is the possible presence of trichloroethene, or
TCE, which was used to degrease chain produced by Morse Chain. TCE can
negatively impact neurological functions if large quantities are
inhaled.

Emerson bought the plant in 1983 and reportedly TCE has not been used
there since.

"It's encouraging," Ken Deschere, whose home is one of the seven, said
of the expansion. "I think getting the house tested is in my best
interest. Even if we get a negative effect, we owe it to our neighbors
to let them know what's there."

http://www.theithacajournal.com/news/stories/20050121/localnews/1896298.html