2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 2 Feb 2005 08:24:34 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Cleanup goals adjusted in Hopewell Junction (NY)

EPA seeks to clear homes' tainted air

East Fishkill neighborhood wants action
By Dan Shapley
Poughkeepsie Journal
February 2, 2005

HOPEWELL JUNCTION -- The Environmental Protection Agency has set a new
goal for the polluted neighborhood in East Fishkill: Any contaminated
air inside homes is too much.

That means more homes could be ventilated, and some with ventilation
systems could get additional attention.

The decision, which EPA officials detailed to the Poughkeepsie Journal
Tuesday, is the latest development in a national debate about how to
deal with vapors of trichloroethylene (TCE) that seep up from polluted
groundwater into homes.

"We'll address anything we can detect," said Dick Salkie, chief of the
EPA's Removal Action Branch in Region 2, which includes New York.

http://www.poughkeepsiejournal.com/today/localnews/stories/lo020205s6.shtml