2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Kenneth S. Kamlet" <kkamlet@hotmail.com>
Date: 4 Feb 2005 21:21:43 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Vapor Intrusion and Redevelopment (Lenny Siegel)

I'd like to respond briefly to Lenny's comment on the article co-authored by me and Jesse Hiney. Lenny wrote, in part:
They are invoking the basic concept of brownfields. By relaxing the
procedures required to redevelop property contaminated, or even possibly
contaminated, but lacking a viable responsible party, government makes
it possible for both public and private parties to redevelop such
property, making it safe for human use. In essence, the expenses of
investigation, mitigation, and/or remediation are paid for out of the
increased value of the property generated by redevelopment.

I support that concept, but what happens when its implementation
conflicts with the imperative to protect public health?

That is, at some level, the presence of toxic vapors, such as TCE, PCE,
or petroleum products in indoor air is likely to pose an unacceptable
risk to the people who live, work, or study inside. The authors and I
appear to disagree about where that threshold of acceptability lies, but
it's likely that most observers of the vapor intrusion phenomenon agree
that there are numerous buildings in this country where indoor air
readings exceed the legally safe level. In addition, some of those
buildings have been constructed after the property was "cleaned up" by
an innocent party - that is, someone other than the polluter - under a
state voluntary or Brownfields cleanup program.

So, let's assume that there are people living in new homes, on property
that supposedly was cleaned up to the satisfaction of regulatory
authorities, and that these people are breathing air which may be
harmful, particularly to children, if exposure continues. What do we do?

Do we beg for Superfund-type money from state or federal legislatures? I
don't oppose this tack, but I'm not optimistic, either.

Or do we require those who have created the situation to go back and
conduct further work? Where there is a viable responsible party - the
original polluter - this is relatively easy. That's what we've done in
Mountain View, with some success. But what if the only parties capable
of funding a response are the developers - perhaps with the help of
their insurance companies. (In a sense, they have created the situation
by opening up the vapor intrusion pathway.) If the answer is no, then
the Brownfields model has broken down. The process that was supposed to
make underutilized properties ready for reuse has not made them
suitable, and the residents must pay the price.
Lenny says he supports "the basic concept of brownfields," but when the health and well-being of people living in buildings built on a brownfield site "that supposedly was cleaned up to the satisfaction" of regulators is put on the scales against that concept, it is clear which one he believes must give way. While I agree that protection of public health must be paramount, that interest can be vindicated without sacrificing brownfield (voluntary cleanup) principles. As the Brownfield law provides in the case of offsite migration of contaminants, or where a site contributes to areawide groundwater contamination, or natural resource damages, an innocent cleanup volunteer is not held responsible. In such cases, the liability and cost burden are placed on the responsible parties who caused or contributed to the contamination. If viable RPs cannot be found and further action is required, it must be carried out by DEC at public expense. The same approach can and should be taken where a previously accepted brownfield remedy must be revisited because of vapor intrusion concern.

Lenny's concern is that situations will arise--perhaps fairly often--when "begging" for Superfund-type money from state or federal legislatures will be unavailing and there is no viable responsible party. Under those circumstances, "if the only parties capable of funding a response are the developers - perhaps with the help of their insurance companies," Lenny implies that the (innocent) developers should pay. Since he views the brownfield concept as entailing a public subsidy of sorts to the cleanup volunteer (i.e., relaxing the procedures required to redevelop [contaminated] property), why not simply add the cost of VI investigation and cleanup to the other brownfield cleanup costs that "are paid for out of the increased value of the property generated by redevelopment"?

A couple of things should be said in response.

First, residential reuses of brownfield sites are still much less common than non-residential reuses. Under the new Brownfield Cleanup Program, "Track 1" unrestricted use cleanups are quite stringent. Residential redevelopers will know that going in and can weigh the risks against the anticipated Return on Investment. In other words, the scenario Lenny worries about is only a problem for legacy sites and not for new sites, going forward. Even under the pre-1993 Voluntary Cleanup Program (VCP), residential reuses were subject to more stringent cleanup requirements than non-residential reuses.

Second, while there are doubtless high-value brownfield sites located in Midtown Manhattan (and other prime locations) that can easily support lots of extra investigation and cleanup costs--even those added after-the-fact, the reality is that brownfield sites in most parts of New York State do not command top dollar and are not attractive investments. In such cases, it will not take much additional cost or uncertainty to make a marginal site non-viable as a redevelopment target.

Third, tapping into the state cleanup Fund where private resources cannot be accessed and the public health stakes are high enough does not require Legislative approval or any "begging" by DEC. Having been established and funded by the Legislature, the Fund can be accessed administratively by DEC when necessary.

Bottom line: In the relatively unusual case where a previously completed brownfield site was redeveloped for a residential use, a serious VI problem is later discovered, and no viable RP can be found, I would much prefer to see DEC foot the bill than to try to impose it on an innocent redeveloper who probably barely broke even on the original deal. I think that is a perfectly appropriate balancing of the equities--especially where the redeveloper signed an agreement with DEC that said that, if he did everything DEC originally asked, he would be done.

I am less concerned about the impact on any individual developer of the approach Lenny would seem to prefer than I am about the very negative impact on the Brownfield Cleanup Program as a whole. Without certainty and finality, and a Cleanup Agreement that means something, that program is doomed to failure.

Ken Kamlet

   Kenneth S. Kamlet, Esquire
   Director of Legal Affairs
   Newman Development Grp., L.L.C.