2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 14 Feb 2005 22:29:01 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Rep. Hinchey calls for protective TCE standard in New York

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Office of Congressman Maurice Hinchey
February 14, 2005

Hinchey Calls On NY Dept. of Health To Strengthen TCE Guidelines

Says Endicott & Ithaca Residents Cannot Afford To Wait  Any Longer For
Current Standards To Be Studied

Endicott, NY - Deeply concerned that the current state and federal
guidelines regulating trichloroethylene (TCE) are too weak to protect
the residents of Endicott and Ithaca from health risks, Congressman
Maurice Hinchey (D-NY) today called on the New York State Department of
Health to greatly strengthen its guidelines on the toxin for indoor air
in residences.

"It is my strong belief, supported by a growing body of scientific
research, that this chemical is indeed much more dangerous than
previously thought," Hinchey wrote to New York State Department of
Health Commissioner Antonia Novella. "I am greatly concerned that the
current guideline permits unacceptable exposure risks for my
constituents, particularly those living or working in areas of Endicott
and Ithaca where TCE has been detected in indoor air."

TCE is widely recognized as a probable carcinogen, having been
identified in numerous studies to be a cause of cancer.  Hinchey noted
that U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) scientists had proposed
four years ago to greatly strengthen TCE guidelines in a draft
assessment report.  The congressman also pointed out that earlier this
month, EPA officials decided to significantly strengthen the TCE
standards in East Fishkill -- an area that has a much lower population
concentration than Endicott or Ithaca.  Given the fact that stronger TCE
guidelines have been discussed, and in some place enacted, Hinchey said
he feels that New York State's Department of Health must act now to
protect the residents of Endicott and Ithaca.

"Frankly, I am not content to wait indefinitely while this matter is
studied.  The people of Endicott, Ithaca, and other places where TCE has
been detected at current actionable levels deserve quicker action and it
is unconscionable that they are not getting it.  Your agency is in a
position to act," Hinchey wrote in his letter to Novella.

Hinchey's letter was directed to the New York State Department of Health
because the State, rather than EPA, is leading remediation efforts in
Endicott and Ithaca.

###

NOTE: Congressman Hinchey's Letter to Commissioner Novello is as follows:

February 14, 2005

The Honorable Antonia C. Novello, M.D.
Commissioner
New York State Department of Health
Corning Tower
Empire State Plaza
Albany, NY 12237

Dear Dr. Novello:

     I am writing to urge the New York State Department of Health to
reexamine the air guideline it has established for long-term exposure to
trichloroethylene (TCE).  It is my strong belief, supported by a growing
body of scientific research, that this chemical is indeed much more
dangerous than previously thought.  I am greatly concerned that the
current guideline permits unacceptable exposure risks for my
constituents, particularly those living or working in areas of Endicott
and Ithaca where TCE has been detected in indoor air.

     While TCE is widely recognized as a probable carcinogen and has
been linked to cancer growth in laboratory animals, a 2001 draft risk
assessment prepared by the US Environmental Protection Agency found TCE
to be highly likely to cause cancer in humans.  The draft assessment
also found TCE to be up to 65 times more toxic than previously believed
and recommended dramatic reductions in air and groundwater clean-up
standards and guidelines.

     EPA's present guideline sets a criteria range of 1 to 10 ug/m3 for
indoor air, however the Agency's 2001 draft TCE air inhalation guideline
suggested levels as low as .017 ug/m3.  These numbers attempt to
calculate the level at which one's lifetime cancer risk falls within the
risk range of 1/1,000,000 and 1/10,000.  Obviously there is a wide gap
between what EPA and state agencies like NYS DOH currently use and what
EPA scientists proposed some four years ago.  EPA's draft assessment
remains under review by the National Academies of Sciences.

     Frankly, I am not content to wait indefinitely while this matter is
studied.  The people of Endicott, Ithaca, and other places where TCE has
been detected at current actionable levels deserve quicker action and it
is unconscionable that they are not getting it.  Your agency is in a
position to act.   At the NYS Assembly Hearing in Endicott last
November, Dr. Nancy Kim, indicated that your agency is committed to a
peer review process of the NYS DOH 5ug/m3 guideline established in
2003.  I am not aware of the status of this review process, but it is my
hope that it is inclusive of the latest research on exposure levels and
that you are consulting the scientists involved in EPA's 2001 draft assessment.

     Earlier this month, a decision was made by EPA Region II to pursue
a goal for TCE air concentration of .38ug/m3 in remediation work
underway in East Fishkill.  For those who have been advocating for more
stringent standards, this news is most welcomed.  It was also the right
thing to do based on what we know today about TCE.

     For the sake of those whose health is dependent on action by
regulatory agencies like NYSDOH, I urge you to revise your evaluation of
the health risk associated with TCE and lower the present guideline.

     Best regards.

         Sincerely,

         Maurice D. Hinchey

For the original press release, see