2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 15 Apr 2005 23:33:32 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] REMINDER: CPEO's IRF launches next week

REMINDER: Installation Reuse Forum (IRF) launches next week

The Center for Public Environmental Oversight (CPEO) began as
CAREER/PRO, a project of San Francisco State University, about 12 years
ago. Our initial focus, in the wake of military base closures throughout
the San Francisco Bay Area, was the cleanup and reuse of closing federal facilities.

However, as the Brownfields concept became more popular, we recognized
that base closures were just a special case of Brownfields. Initially,
Brownfields policy-makers and environmental justice advocates sought to
learn from the base closure experience. Later, as many civilian
Brownfields properties moved faster than their larger military
counterparts, base closure stakeholders sought to learn from the
Brownfields experience.

Today, as BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) 2005 looms as the largest
Brownfields exercise in history, there is still much to be learned.
Communities, environmental agencies, the private sector, and the
military services will soon need to learn a great deal to be able to
reuse newly closing bases in a safe, efficient, timely way. Previous
BRAC rounds suggest that even with the best information, this will be difficult.

To provide such needed information, as well as a forum for comparing
notes, CPEO has created a third newsgroup, the Installation Reuse Forum.
By the beginning of June we will be charging for this service. For now,
we invite you to subscribe for free, determine how valuable the forum
is, and offer us feedback.

TO SUBSCRIBE during the introductory free period, simply e-mail us your
name, affiliation (if appropriate), and e-mail address. To expedite
processing, please include "IRF Sub" in the subject line of your
message. Please also indicate whether you wish to receive each
INDIVIDUAL message or have your messages collected in a daily DIGEST.