2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 22 Apr 2005 19:55:31 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] View-Master lawsuit

Mattel named in wrongful death suit
Company says case of View-Master worker should be dismissed

By BEN JACKLET
Portland Tribune (OR)
April 22, 2005

The family of a longtime employee at Mattel's former View-Master plant
in Beaverton has filed a wrongful death lawsuit, claiming that polluted
drinking water at the factory caused or contributed to the liver cancer
that killed him.

Gary Evans worked at the View-Master plant for more than 20 years. He
died at age 61 in February 2002. The lawsuit, brought by his daughter,
Amanda, charges that Mattel is liable for the death because the
factory's drinking water was contaminated with the industrial solvent
trichloroethylene, or TCE.

"We believe we can show that Gary Evans was killed by TCE," said
Portland attorney Karl Anuta, who is representing the Evans family.

Mattel has long denied the link between the health problems of former
employees and the TCE in the factory's drinking water. The company is
arguing that the Evans lawsuit should be dismissed because, under Oregon
law, workers' compensation is the exclusive remedy for workplace injuries.

http://www.portlandtribune.com/archview.cgi?id=29551