2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Jody Kass <jodykass@yahoo.com>
Date: 17 Jun 2005 15:37:50 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] How frequently should theNationalBrownfieldsConference take place?

I believe that the discussion to date, which has focused on what each one of us might get out of attending an annual Brownfields Conference, misses an extremely important, though less tangible point: the influence that that Conference has on the brownfields ?industry.?

Remember, the ?field? of Brownfields is young.  It was not until the mid-1990s that it was acknowledged that there was a need to address the estimated 600,000 brownfield sites that exist across this country.  In 2002, the federal Small Business Liability Relief and Brownfields Revitalization Act was passed; and many states have only recently passed brownfields laws (though some are in their 2nd or 3rd generation of statutes).  New York?s first brownfields law did not pass until October 2003.

While these laws create financial incentives, limit liability and help establish a framework to encourage brownfields redevelopment, the practical implementation of the laws is only now being tested and understood.   And, what is clear, is that there are statutory, regulatory and administrative interpretations and amendments that are needed to advance the sustainable re-use of brownfields, and that how these laws are interpreted, and whether or not these changes are made, affect everyone in the industry -- lenders, developers, nonprofits, government agencies, etc.

The annual EPA brownfields conference is the key place where the broadest spectrum of stakeholders in the industry come together.  The underlying structure, rhythm and direction of the framework that governs public and private brownfields transactions and policy decisions are informed and influenced by what takes place at this annual conference:

  • There are tremendous formal and informal networking opportunities ? Not just the panel discussions, but what takes place in the hallways of the convention center, at the cocktail receptions, even on the plane on the way to and from the conference.
  • There is unparalleled access to senior level EPA staff from the Regional office and headquarters;
  • As the conference has been so successful in bringing in senior State and local agency staff, it also provides tremendous access to these individuals.

 The brownfields industry is only now beginning to mature at the Federal, State and local government level, and in the private sectors -  all at the same time, but not at the same pace.  This annual conference provides a forum for key stakeholders to catch up with each other, to discuss and understand:

  • Interpretations of federal law and policy
  • Interpretations of State law and policy
  • Opportunity for government officials and other decision-makers (and those who seek to influence decision-makers) to hear how it is done elsewhere and learn from those experiences

I believe we each have a responsibility to attend the annual conference and to continue to share our experiences in the field, as we, together, mold and shape this industry. The annual conference provides a forum, however imperfect or uneven it may be, to share information.   I wholeheartedly support the continuation of the brownfields conference on an annual basis.

Submitted by Jody Kass, Co-Director of New Partners for Community Revitalization, a NYC-based

nonprofit organization, working to advance community revitalization in low and moderate income neighborhoods with a particular focus on brownfields redevelopment.

Charlie Bartsch <cbartsch@nemw.org> wrote:
I agree with Lenny -- local brownfield practitioners and interested
parties with the most to gain from the event often have the least
resources to travel to it. "Driving range" has always been a big factor
in determining attendance.
Charlie Bartsch