2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Jun 2005 05:49:43 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] The value of the annual National Brownfields Conference

Many of the responses, thus far, to the question about the frequency of the national Brownfields Conference - including my own initial comments - have included specific criticisms of the event: Certain constituencies should be better represented. Part of the program is unnecessary. And so on. However, it is possible to resolve most of these shortcomings independent of the frequency.

I know that decision-makers at EPA, as well as many of the other sponsoring organizations, are reading all these comments, and hopefully they will take them to heart in planning Brownfields 2005 and subsequent conferences.

Secondly, there are numerous Brownfields conferences and workshops that serve narrower constituencies or geographic areas. In fact, the EPA Inspector General's report suggested that EPA better assess the value of such events. I have no objection to such an evaluation, as long as it doesn't eat up the resources for such meetings. For the communities I work with, there is hunger for more, not fewer opportunities to gather and learn. I must note, however, that community organizations have a difficult time separating Brownfields - environmental challenges related to property reuse - from similar issues where no redevelopment is envisioned at this time.

But the unique value of EPA's national Brownfields Conference is that it is universal. It is designed to serve the full range of stakeholders with an interest in brownfields and associated issues, and it attracts these people from throughout the United States.

As readers of this list know, I participated in the negotiated rulemaking for the All Appropriate Inquiries rule. Members of the Committee that negotiated the rule compared our efforts to the parable of the "Six Blind Men and the Elephant." That is, each stakeholder group thought the Brownfields elephant had a different purpose or function, based upon the direction from which we approached it. By meeting together we were able to devise a rule that largely - for the limited objectives which we were assigned - satisfied each of our perspectives.

I see the national conference as similar. By bringing together government officials, consultants, developers, responsible parties, community activists, etc. - as well as attorneys for all the above - the conference consistently provides opportunities for people to hear the concerns of other stakeholders, and sometimes even to establish common ground.

I also think the geographic scope is valuable. By moving around the country, the conference makes it convenient for people from throughout the contiguous 48 states to attend at least once every few years. But by attracting a national base of participants, it gives them the opportunity to meet and share and compare experiences and ideas with attendees from other areas.

As an organizer, advocate, and trainer, I am always looking for ways to bring people together in this way, for any issue focus that I'm working on. Neither the visits I make to communities nor the Internet provide the same opportunities for communication. From the interactions I've seen among other constituencies at the national conference, I believe they benefit in a similar way.

Of course, convening the national conference every other year would still provide the value of bringing together multiple stakeholder groups from throughout the country. But for some purposes, it would be half the value. That's because Brownfields and the associated topics covered at the national Brownfields Conference, are continuously changing. States pass new laws. New technologies are developed. Major federal programs emerge.

For example, each year the conference includes two or three sessions devoted to federal facilities. This year, in response to the Pentagon's base realignment and closure (BRAC) process conference organizers have risen to the occasion to offer a "BRAC Track." If there were no conference this year, there would be no such opportunity for detailed coverage.

Another topic that interests me is vapor intrusion, the migration of subsurface contaminants to the surface - particularly into homes and other structures. I've participated in vapor intrusion sessions at the last two conferences, and I've attended numerous technical symposia, hearings, and community meetings on the subject as well. Vapor intrusion is a moving target, with constantly evolving regulatory guidance and immature, but rapidly developing science. It needs to be discussed, as a national issue, more often than every other year.

Even institutional controls are evolving. After a few years, the panels on land use controls seemed to become repetitive. However, now, as more states enact new legislation and learn from its implementation, institutional controls again beg annual discussion.

In summary, there is definitely room for improvement at the national conferences. And regional meetings have an important role as well. But no other event draws together the critical mass of varied, national stakeholders, and I think it worth the effort to continue doing so in a timely fashion.

Please continue to offer comments or recommendations. This discussion is valuable, and it is being heard.