2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Bob Paterson" <paterson@uts.cc.utexas.edu>
Date: 2 Aug 2005 19:46:40 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Toxicity in general!

I think it is high time we also address issues of additive and synergistic
toxicity in a stronger fashion.  We seem to be like an ostrich with its head
underground. Yes it is a tough question, yet we have some ideas on what
combinations of various classes of chemicals and compounds that are in fact
likely to have such effects. So we can in fact, expect and, in fact demand,
higher risk based safety thresholds where multiple compounds that are likely
to be problematic in combinations are found--and will be left in place to
biodegrade.  It is even tougher as we consider such effects through
different pathways (ingestion, absorption and inhalation)

See e.g.,
http://www.ecologic-ipm.com/commontox.html
http://molpharm.aspetjournals.org/cgi/content/full/68/2/336
%20www.nyenvirolaw.org/.../ Appendix%208-Additve%20and%20Synergistic.pdf

SNIP>>>Finally, the BLHHRA is lacking in that it does not address the
potential for, and in some cases evidence of synergism when assessing the
risks of concurrent exposure to multiple toxicants. For example, research
indicates that PCBs and mercury, and PCBs and DDE act synergistically in
affecting a variety of biological functions such as neurological development
and survival (Bemis and Seegal 1999, Wren et al. 1987). PCB co-occurs with
mercury and DDE throughout the Fox River/Green Bay system, but the BLHHRA
does not address the potential for synergistic toxicity among these
contaminants. SNIP>>>
http://www.foxriverwatch.com/foran/foran_report_1_0.html

There are many national studies on this for foods. Consider for example,
dozens of pesticide compounds found on conventionally grown strawberries.
That fruit might well be fine for each compound or chemical individually,
yet the reality is we ingest, inhale and absorbed hundreds of chemical
compounds daily that have known or potentially toxicity issues--in
combination those chemicals make that strawberry--very unhealthy indeed. The
Food Quality Protection Act is supposed to deal with this issue for
pesticides, but there is much criticism of narrow interpretation....and this
does not deal with the chemicals we find at brownfield sites.  There are
only nine final Interaction Profiles for Toxic Substances at the ATSDR
website. Constructively, we might identify from the VCPs the most frequently
occurring combinations of chemicals of concern--based on potential or known
toxicities, providing some triage assistant to ATSDR.  Of course, in many
cases we are operating in the dark, we simply lack basic studies on many
chemicals that look at chronic-low dose exposures as happens at brownfield
sites........I lean toward the precautionary principle given the sorry state
of national public health that exists today...

Wee need ATSDR to accelerate analysis of this issue for the most common
combinations of contaminants we find at Superfund and brownfield sites
(especially as it pertains to clean ups that will become residential future
use sites), the larger question of safe food levels is also important, but
not on target for this list-serv.

I recently heard a lecture from a professor at Harvard medical school that
stated for the first time in recorded US medical history, the life
expectancy of our children will be less that of its parents!  While he
asserts poor diet and lack of exercise as the primary culprits, I submit
that the rise in incidence of many serious childhood diseases is also likely
to be at least partially explained by a heavily fouled food, air and water
supply,  My two cents......I fear our children will not be happy with the
world we have left them in our mindless pursuit of "profits," especially if
they don't have a long enough life to enjoy what little we left behind...

Kind regards,

Bob

Robert G. Paterson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor
Co-Director, Center for Sustainable Development
School of Architecture and Planning
The University of Texas at Austin
1 University Station B7500
Austin, Texas 78712-0222