2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Oct 2005 03:35:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Katrina Survivor Association

ACORN Katrina Survivors Association Announced

On October 18th, ACORN announced the formation of the ACORN Katrina Survivors Association (AKSA) -- the first nationwide organization of displaced New Orleans residents and other Katrina survivors. The AKSA will unite members of our displaced communities in order to demand more effective relief efforts and a voice in the rebuilding process.

"We want to return to our homes, and take part in rebuilding our communities," says Tanya Harris, a former resident of the Lower 9th Ward and a leader of the AKSA. "Right now, too many decisions are being made without us at the table." Harris and 1,600 New Orleans residents from across the country came together to form the Survivors Association, whose launch was announced today in a national phone-in press conference.

The ACORN Katrina Survivor Association plans to reach a total of 100,000 members in the next year. In the coming months, the AKSA will use public pressure, direct action, and dialogue with elected officials to win a platform that includes: respect and a voice for survivors, right of return, the means of taking care of ourselves, rebuilding the right way, recovering together, and accountability and honesty.

For the entire statement, see
http://www.acorn.org/index.php?id=4174&tx_ttnews[tt_news]=18352&tx_ttnews[backPid]=2716&cHash=6f9c217021