2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Robert Paterson" <rgfp@mail.utexas.edu>
Date: 19 Oct 2005 15:05:23 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] Katrina Survivor Association

The residents of the 9th ward and other communities impacted on the gulf
coast can and should be involved in redevelopment planning and decision
making. However, much of the discussion quoted in the press is about making
things as they were....but planning is not just re-doing what was....it is
based on informed choice of alternative futures as well as knowledge about
the consequences of those alternative futures....and if we do repeat the
past, who should pay for property and infrastructure replaced in high risk
locations??? What is a sustainable community development pattern in light of
proximity to the Mississippi River and the Gulf Coast where land subsidence,
hurricanes and sea level rise are realities????

Much of the "rebuild now" comments assume that "all homes and businesses"
should be rebuilt? Is that wise? Buildings located in V-zones are subject to
wave action and will be destroyed yet again....given the reality of sea
level rise, is it wise to rebuild the same patterns, land uses and
intensities that existed pre-Katrina?  What land uses and population
intensities can be rebuilt and then safely evacuated within a 12 hour
certainty window of hurricane landfall?  What are the likely losses given
alternative future redevelopment scenarios and different land use and
building approaches? Wouldn't we be wise to use HAZUS-MH software to assess
what is a more sustainable recovery approach whenever a hurricane strikes?
Is it wise as a society to continue to build high intensity development in
high hazard locations?  Losses from natural hazards have been escalating for
decades because we have not asked these important questions before we
rebuild....empathy is important but objective, rational analysis of what
makes sense (and yes that includes consideration of the distributive impacts
across different income groups), for the long term is important as
well....Hopefully everyone realizes with Rita on the heels of Katrina and
now Wilma that mother nature is fickle...you may get 1 or 20 years before
the next big one hits or maybe a month........we have a responsibility to
present and future generations to plan well (make hard choices that informed
by best available data) before we invest $200 billion in rebuilding the gulf
coast.  We can plan and build more disaster resilient communities that
bounce back quickly from natural hazard events, or we can keep subsidizing
and encouraging "high-risk" development patterns to our peril in lost lives
and property. These are important societal decisions that need to be
informed by good data so the relative costs-benefits are known and we make
investment decisions with our eyes wide open to the risks...

Bob

Robert G. Paterson
Associate Professor
Co-Director, Center for Sustainable Development
1 University Station B7500
School of Architecture
The University of Texas
Austin TX 78712-1160
512-471-0734
Fax 512-471-0716
rgfp@mail.utexas.edu

use of the individual or entity named above.

Distribution or copying of this communication is prohibited. If you received
this communication in error, please immediately notify me by telephone at
the number above, and destroy the message.

Thank you.