2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 21 Oct 2005 17:28:58 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] The Biggest “Brownfield”

I've combined some of my observations on post-hurricane recovery into a CPEO Brownfields Brief.

LS

****

The Biggest “Brownfield”

Gulf Coast Reconstruction

by Lenny Siegel
October, 2005

The recovery of Gulf Coast areas devastated by hurricanes Katrina and Rita, in the late summer of 2005, will be the largest reconstruction project in U.S. history. Evidence thus far shows that many impacted areas, particularly in New Orleans, are contaminated. Pollutants include industrial chemicals, petroleum and other hazardous substances from cars and other common products, and biological wastes. Thus, the Louisiana-Mississippi Gulf Coast has become the nation's largest "Brownfield."

Revitalizing these areas raises many of the same issues that have arisen at smaller Brownfield sites across the country.

*    Health Risk and Public Involvement
*    Redevelopment and Gentrification
*    Worker Training and Local Hiring
*    Debris Removal
.…

To download this 4-page document as a PDF file, click on
http://www.cpeo.org/brownfields/BiggestBrownfield.pdf.