2005 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 20 Dec 2005 23:07:59 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Canadian brownfields and Angus Ross

Cleanups put green back in brownfields

For advocate Angus Ross, the cost of redeveloping poisoned sites is
worth the effort

By SUZANNE WINTROB
Toronto Globe and Mail
December 20, 2005

Angus Ross has been a nature lover as long as he can remember. But 30
years ago, as a senior executive in the reinsurance business, it wasn't
so cool to be environmentally conscious, he recalls. His colleagues in
big business considered him somewhat of a rebel for being outspoken on
such issues as climate change and saving the environment.

"I'm an outdoors person," says Mr. Ross, 61, who retired a few years ago
and now runs a small consultancy on environmental issues and reinsurance
disputes out of his Toronto home. "I do a lot of canoeing. I sail, I
cross-country ski, I hike, I cycle and I enjoy the outdoors."

Being vocal got him noticed -- by the Prime Minister's Office, no less
-- and in 1995, Mr. Ross was appointed to the PM's National Round Table
on the Environment and the Economy. At the time, he recalls, many of the
major banks were being asked to lend money to developers to clean up
contaminated soil and rebuild on it, and neighbours were concerned. By
the time the task force issued its report, called Greening Canada's
Brownfield Sites, the term "brownfield" had become a buzzword across the country.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20051220/PRROSS20/TPBusiness/Canadian