2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 15 Mar 2006 06:54:30 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Waterloo, Iowa enterprise zones

Enterprise zone expanded to entice developers to inner city

By TIM JAMISON
Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier (IA)
March 14, 2006

WATERLOO --- Two empty schools, a blighted former defense contractor, soon-to-be-vacant John Deere buildings and some bare east Waterloo ground itching for a home builder have all been given a leg up in attracting potential developers.

The five sites have been declared "enterprise zones" by the Waterloo City Council, making future developers eligible for large tax breaks and other incentives designed to encourage reuse of inner city assets over urban sprawl.

"We basically tried to focus the enterprise zone on where we thought the greatest possibility of people using them would be," said City Planner Noel Anderson.

http://www.wcfcourier.com/articles/2006/03/14/news/metro/f480a1bb8882a28186257131004b9478.txt