2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: Lenny Siegel <lsiegel@cpeo.org>
Date: 19 Mar 2006 08:52:06 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: [CPEO-BIF] Visit to the DuPont-Stauffer Landfill, Newburgh, New York

Below is my report on my field visit to Newburgh, New York, to learn more about the DuPont-Stauffer Landfill site. For a formatted version with a photograph, go to http://www.cpeo.org/brownfields/NewburghNY.doc. - LS

Visit to the DuPont-Stauffer Landfill, Newburgh, New York
March 14, 2006
Lenny Siegel

On March 14, 2006, I visited Newburgh, New York and viewed the Dupont-Stauffer Landfill site. My host was Rudy LaMarr, Executive Director of the Newburgh Community Action Committee (NCAC). I was also briefed by one of his associates, George Tukel. In late 2003 I wrote a profile of NCAC for the NIEHS Minority Worker Training Program, but this was my first visit to the community.

Newburgh is one of the few cities on the Mid-Hudson River with a genuine waterfront. Over 65 percent of its nearly 28,000 residents are black or Hispanic. NCAC is a social service organization that broadened its mission in the late 1990s to engage in economic development. In 1997 it signed an agreement with Stauffer Chemical, current owner of the nearly 50-acre Landfill property, in which Stauffer agreed to donate the property to NCAC once remediation is completed.

DuPont (from 1911 to 1967) and later Stauffer produced coated fabrics at a manufacturing facility across the road, and Stauffer also manufactured polyvinyl chloride (PVC) sheeting. The plant closed in January 1979. Creek Industrial Center purchased the plant in 1979, but Stauffer and DuPont retained the undeveloped landfill property. According to the New York Department of Environmental Conservation (DEC), "The site consists of two waste disposal areas referred to as the South and North Landfills. The South Landfill was reportedly used for storage, burning and burial of various plant wastes and residual waste ash. The North Landfill contained an incinerator that was used to burn wastes and an open field used for evaporation and disposal purposes." Hazardous wastes include volatile organics, semi-volatile organics, and metals.

DEC and the New York Department of Health are currently taking public comments on a proposed remedial action plan. The site is being addressed under a Consent Order with Stauffer, which is responsible for paying for remedial action. The agencies propose to send hazardous wastes to an approved landfill and to consolidate and cap other wastes in the North Landfill area. The site will be limited, with institutional controls, to restricted-commercial uses, and long-term monitoring will be required. The estimated cost of the preferred remedy is about $12 million. An alternative, removal of all wastes from the property, would cost approximately $24 million.

The first Consent Order was signed in 1999. NCAC expects the state to approve the proposed remedy as early as April, 2006, and it hopes than remedial action to be completed in several months. Thus far, no opposition to the proposed plan has emerged.

NCAC envisions open space at the consolidated North Landfill, recreational open space along the creek that forms the western boundary, and an ecological industrial park consisting of several buildings. It plans to participate in New York's green building program; it hopes to attract manufacturers of building materials made from recycled products; and it eventually wants users to be connected according to the principles of industrial ecology, in which the waste of one manufacturer serves as feedstock for another.

NCAC expects to own the land outright. It doesn't anticipate environmental issues to be a major obstacle to redevelopment, but it is willing to stage development, building in the southern portion of the property first. When I mentioned the potential for surprises - that is, new pollution discoveries - Rudy and George agreed that environmental insurance will be a must. I also suggest that they ask DEC to supplement the monitoring requirements with contingency plans that would define the likely responses should additional soil or vapor contamination be discovered.

NCAC is looking for grants, other subsidies, and private sector partners to help finance and carry out construction. I suggested that they also seek solar power companies that might want to install photovoltaic systems on project roofspace. Energy generated on-site could power the buildings.

Once cleanup issues are resolved, NCAC may be able to develop the property quickly, if it can find the funding. This is a great opportunity for community-led brownfields development.

-- Lenny Siegel Director, Center for Public Environmental Oversight c/o PSC, 278-A Hope St., Mountain View, CA 94041 Voice: 650/961-8918 or 650/969-1545 Fax: 650/961-8918 http://www.cpeo.org