2006 CPEO Brownfields List Archive

From: "Mathy Stanislaus" <mstanislaus@allegianceresources.com>
Date: 9 Jun 2006 04:33:56 -0000
Reply: cpeo-brownfields
Subject: RE: [CPEO-BIF] [Fwd: please post on BIF and MEF]

Air monitoring systems exists for your purposes.  Clearly, the issue is cost
and willingness of regulatory agency and party responsible for the
remedition to implement such a system.  Generally, I believe in a
comprehensive system of  on-site controls to prevent any migration off-site
such as active dust controls, neutralizer systems coupled with on-site
perimeter and off-site air monitors.  It is crucial that both on-site and
off-site monitors be used to confirm or deny whether the detection of
contaminants on an off-site monitor relates to an activity on-site.  The
critical question is the number of contaminants that can be monitored.  I'm
assuming that the primary concern is hazardous volatile or semi-volatile
organic contaminants.  Monitoring for each individual volatile or
semi-volatile organic contaminant can be very expensive.  You can use a
group parameter - such as total organics as a basis for assessing impacts.
This can be done via continuous, automated logging system. .

Hope this is helpful